So about a month ago I saw a post by Crissey from HelloCrissey on Tumblr on how she did a DIY Panda Face Sweater. I’ve always loved the Giant Panda and frankly I’m always drawn to tops that has a panda face on it. Not to mention, the official mascot of the residential college I attended is a Giant Panda. So I decided to take the techniques and templates from Crissey’s tutorial and made my own Panda T-Shirt.
Since mum already had the needle and thread, all I needed was the t-shirt.
I went to search for a good, comfortable plain white t-shirt that are super affordable (I never like to spend money on overpriced stuff). I tried looking at many places both online and offline stores. In the end, I unexpectedly found some at Coles by Mix Apparel. I picked up 2 T-Shirts from the clearance section – one more fitting and the other loose fitting. Though the colour is a little more like cream than it is white, I thought this would make the tee looks less “harsh” and give it a “lived in” look which I love.
The End Product
I pretty much followed exactly how Crissey did it in her blog post (and used her template too – which printed to about half an A4 size) but I thought that I didn’t like how hers looked “bunched up” – like she pulled on the needle too hard while sewing. To solve this problem, I concentrated in stitching with very little “pull” and also used an embroidery hoop I had laying around.
I also used “long and short stitch” to fill in rather than “satin stitch” as suggested by my mother to give it a more “natural” look at the end. Click HERE for a few basic stitches and to see the difference between the two stitches. They ARE quite similar to each other.
I used in total one embroidery floss plus a little bit more (maybe another 30cm), loading the needle with 2 out of the 6 strands of the floss at a time.
In the end, because the T-Shirt material is so soft and stretchy (and super comfortable!) the stitching still looked like they were too tight. Luckily, I have a super-mum and she told me a very awesome trick!
TIP: Iron the embroidery afterwards from the back side (so turn the t-shirt inside out) to lessen the “pulled” look.
The project took me 2 days to complete – with breaks. I did this while watching TV-Shows/Movies/YouTube clips on my desk.
Though I could have filled in more of the black, I think in the end I pretty much succeded this DIY and I can’t wait to start my next DIY Project!
Don’t forget to follow Sprinkle O’Rainbow for more posts!
Lots of Smiles,